Sunday, October 10, 2010

My Belt With Legs

It's been another couple of weeks. Jeesh. I just don't hang out on the computer like I used to anymore. What could I possibly be doing with my time that's more important? (Oh, don't know. Maybe working out? :c) )

My body's in the process of metamorphosis yet again. Some days I feel like I don't even know who I am anymore. I go through time periods where I pretty much look the same for a while, but lately I feel like a new person every day. My face has changed a lot! Mom says I need a new pair of glasses. They take up too much of my face now. You know me and glasses. I have decided to put part of my winnings toward a new set of frames to match my face. I really really really want to find an awesome orange pair or perhaps lime green... Anyway, over the past month and a half or so, my arms, shoulders, and back have become really defined. It's been pretty cool to see that happen. I hope to get some pics of the amazingness that is my arms up here soon. I'm going to try to talk Nell into taking some pictures of me to add to the blog here.

Last week was the 110 pound party. It was great to have my friends and family over. My Mom was a trooper and got the house ready and cut up a million veggies for the whole thing. Grandpa and JoRae came, which was so great! They hadn't seen me since Bug left on her mission. I am fairly certain they didn't recognize me when I came in. They gave me big hugs and told me how proud they were. My family and friends were also able to meet Caleb, the man who brought you my massive arms. :c) He thought my boss was the school's maintenance man, because he was so laid back. Funny! The whole evening was pretty enjoyable, and ended with me doing a demonstration of bear crawls down the stairs (do NOT try that at home kids!).

My latest accomplishments are pretty cool too. On October 1st, I did my first unassisted pull up! Woot Woot! That has been a long time coming! I am thrilled! Now I just need to start doing more than one in a row! Nextly, my mile time is down to 7:13! I could not believe that I was able to cut another 32 seconds off my time. I didn't think there was that much more to cut! I was so winded by the end of it though. I didn't make the usual ruckus I normally would have. Whew!

And now, the belt with legs story. At school, my duty is to monitor the 2nd graders during lunch and their recess. As far as duties go, I love it! I come in to the lunch room and feel like a rock star! I have to go see my #1 fans in kindergarten and hear their daily reports, give them knuckles, high 5's, and hugs. Then, I head back through the 1st grade section and say hi to the kids there. They like to have me open things for them. Then it's off to 2nd grade, where I cruise around the tables, making sure they don't eat their desserts first and pick up all of their trash. We head out to recess and I monitor the playground. Anyhow, there's a 2nd grader who is new to the school this year. The other day, he came up behind me at the playground, wrapped his arms around my waist, and said, "I'm your belt with legs!" I could not stop laughing! So funny!

My little belt with legs helps to give me some perspective. I've written before that I struggle with seeing myself as I really am. In my mind, I am still a big person, still overweight, still fat. I truly have to remind myself that I am not that person anymore. My belt with legs wouldn't be able to fit his short little arms all the way around my waist nine months ago. I am grateful for the kids at my school. They are some of my biggest champions! In fact, when I started this whole weight loss hullaballoo, it was a kindergartner who first noticed I was losing weight, before most of the adults I work with even noticed. As difficult as they are to teach, I sure do love the kindergartners in my life.

3 comments:

  1. Your accomplishments are amazing Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you rock, Sarah - you TOTALLY rock!! :) congrats on more milestones and I cannot WAIT to see some new pics!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, "belt with legs!" I thought I was the only one who wants to do an unassisted pull-up! I'm not sure I'll do it in this lifetime. Maybe I need to get a trainer! So proud of you! Have fun with your sister.

    ReplyDelete